Due to Covid-19 social distancing requirements, the use of technologies such as Zoom, Teams, Facetime, WhatsApp and others to conduct video interviews has become an essential part of every recruitment process. Even after restrictions are lifted, because employers and the recruitment industry is now more comfortable using these technologies, it is likely that video interviewing will remain as a common part of the hiring process.
As a job seeker, it therefore is important, to know how to prepare for your next video interview.
Whilst many of the interviewing skills required for a video interview are similar if not identical to a face-to-face interview, how you prepare will be very different.
Here are some tips to prepare for a successful video interview:
- Find a quiet, private, well-lit place, free from interruptions and distractions. Ideally not a coffee shop, other public space, where your pets can bark or jump on you, or where family members or housemates can accidentally walk in
- If you are using a personal Skype or Google account, make sure that you have a professional username
- Remove any inappropriate items and clutter in the background that might be visible
- Ensure your internet connection is stable. Check that your computer’s audio and webcam is working. If you are using headphones make sure the built-in microphone is working
- Close any unnecessary web browser tabs and applications as they might interrupt the conversation or slow down the internet connection. Do not forget to set your phone to silent
- Dress appropriately as if you were attending a face-to-face interview. Even wear appropriate pants or skirt, in case you do have to stand up for any reason
- Have a pen, notepad and copy of your resume on your desk. Clear everything else away
- Do a trial run with a friend or family member and get feedback on how you are presenting to them. How is the lighting? Is the audio clear? Is my background and surrounds professional, neat and tidy?
Now that you are well prepared, many of the usual face-to-face interview tips will apply.
And that ladies and gentlemen is a blog for another day.